SRJC Men's Cross Country team looks to build off the momentum of last year's season in an attempt to break into the top 10 in the state. After a successful recruiting season, Coach Wellman is excited about the prospects of the upcoming season. "We worked hard last year to bring in some top freshmen from the area," said Coach Wellman. "We're only in preseason training, and you can already tell the intensity and effort has been elevated by the injection of new blood."
This year, the Bear Cubs bring in 10 freshmen from six Sonoma County schools. This outstanding recruiting class includes:
- Steve Adams – Cardinal Newman. 2014 Cross Country High School state individual qualifier, Adams will continue to run with grit. Finished 68th in the division IV race at Woodward Park in Fresno running 16:50.
- Marco Donis - Technology High School. Competing for the first time last year, Donis is a converted soccer player who has shown a lot of improvement over the past year. He is an untapped talent that should turn some heads this season.
- Adam Harwood – Casa Grande. Brother to recent graduate Tyler Harwood, Adam was selected for the 2nd Team All-Empire. Hardwood finished 12th in NBL Finals and was the 4th finisher for the 2014 NCS DII Cross Country Team Champions Casa Grande.
- Kyle O'Brian – Healdsburg High. In only his first season running Cross Country O'Brian was able to break into the top five at Healdsburg, running a seasons best 19:26 on the Spring Lake Course.
- Brady Lane – El Molino. Finished second last year in SCL finals and 16th overall at NCS DIV, Lane was also selected to the first team All-Empire in 2014.
- Zach Nussdofer – Casa Grande. 3rd finisher for Casa Grande's 2014 NCS DII Cross Country Team Championship team, Nussdofer has the talent to progress well in be a top runner in the CCCAA.
- Nick Rauch – Casa Grande. Building off of a sensational senior year in both track and Cross Country, Rauch has the speed and determination to run with the best runners in the State. First team All-Empire for Track and Cross Country; Rauch is one to watch this year.
- Steven Ruiz – Santa Rosa. First time Cross Country Runner, Ruiz had a breakout Track season, nearly breaking the two-minute barrier in his second 800m. Steven will prove to be instrumental in the Bear Cubs success.
- Justin Thurman – Santa Rosa. Coming off a fantastic senior year in both track and Cross Country, Thurman is primed to be one of the top Bear Cub runners this year. Selected as 2015 Track ad Field Frist Team All-Empire.
- Adrian Vajto – El Molino. Struggling with injury over his entire senior year, Vajto is primed to return to form looking to better his times from two years ago.